Pagine

venerdì 15 maggio 2015

The road to ECMC 3: Stay True - the zen of wheel building

I built my first wheel about 5 years ago.

When I went in the bicycle shop (La stazione delle biciclette) I did not really know what I was doing: I needed a rear wheel to convert my current city/road bike frame into a fixed gear bike, as the whole drive train was failing miserably. I asked for the most basic hub, a Novatec flip flop, the most basic rim that they had, 32 spokes and nipples and I headed back home. That same night I started building my wheel following a YouTube tutorial.

Everybody can build a wheel, it is a relatively simple process. The only "professional help" that you need is to calculate the right length of spokes, as it is the "conditio sine qua non" for the whole process to work smoothly. Then you need patience, loads of it. Especially if you are using an old, slightly bent rim, you should not expect a perfect result but you will succeed.

Repeat the mantra: I am True, my soul is True, my body is True, my aim is True, my wheel will be True. Only slight adjustments, fractions of turns on the nipples, like when balancing on a slack-line, or when avoiding an annoying argument. Just like when you are looking for the smoothest route between A and B. You pull a bit here, you let out a bit there, and everything falls into place.

What just minutes ago was a pile of metal pieces without purpose, is now a coherent race machine, a sword ready to cut the air and roll over every surface. Is your soul that has found its path.

Once a man said: "be water". You are now your wheel, and your wheel is you.

Stay True - ECMC is just behind the corner.



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento