Pagine

mercoledì 22 aprile 2015

One more reason

Why do your ride a track bike outside a velodrome? Is a question that many of us have received many times, and many times we had to come up with all sorts of different answers.
There is the esoteric/philosophical answer: on a track bike you are directly linked to your bike, your speed, your cadence, the road, the traffic. Your mind is sharpened, it is zen...this answer can actually go on for a while.
There is the utilitarian answer: a track bike, on the long run, is mostly cheaper and easier to maintain than a road bike or MTB of comparable quality, mostly thanks to the lack of components that can break down.
There is the playful answer: track bikes are fun to ride, no one can deny this.

I think all of these answers are generally relevant and partly true. All together they give a pretty good picture of the whole urban-track biking experience. Nevertheless there is one more, of which I only thought yesterday: less bike parts also translate in less chances of being forced to walk home...As you can see in the picture, someone had the brilliant idea of locking his/her bike to the bike rack...and to the brake cable of my CX bike.

Now, I am sure that he/she did it without realizing. He/she surely was in a rush and did not really see what he/she was doing. No harm done, it was just a bit annoying to walk home. Yes, I could have easily undone the brake cable, but I was in a rush myself and I did not have the right allen key with me. I maybe would have liked him/her to realize his/her mistake and leave an apologetic message on my bike...it did not happen and I am not going to complain. I only wanted to share this new good reason for riding a simple bike to work.

Now you will ask: "so, why were you riding your CX bike and not your track bike?". Gelatina, is stuck at home without wheels as I am rebuilding them. But this will be the topic for another post...

Stay tuned


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento